info@adelaideelectric.com.au 0423 057 185
Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Adelaide

Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Adelaide

Why aren’t we aware of the silent killer? My first encounter with Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms was while in the UK, and I noticed that almost every house had one fitted. Due to the cold winters there, various heating and hot water appliances are widely used and pose Carbon Monoxide poisoning risks. Considering our Adelaide winter is cold enough for the use of similar heating appliances why haven’t we adopted these detectors for our safety? Much in the same way we have mandatory requirements for smoke alarms and safety switches. As an Electrician in Adelaide and keeping up to date with regulation requirements to do with smoke detectors, I decided to do some investigating. I also asked friends, family and clients what they knew about Carbon Monoxide. Here’s a link to some of our Smoke Detector information http://www.adelaideelectric.com.au/smoke-alarms-part-1/ The information out there. As it turns out, there is information online and on state government websites that inform us of the dangers of CO and what we can do to prevent exposure. https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/energy-and-environment/using-electricity-and-gas-safely/carbon-monoxide Much like we do with fire danger and smoke detectors. However when I asked people directly about Carbon Monoxide and its dangers there was a lack of awareness, and more so there was a lack of knowledge it can exist in all our homes.  It seems the nature of Carbon Monoxide itself means it is often not considered when thinking of home safety. Fire can be seen, you can smell it, feel the heat of it. It’s destruction can be seen and we know it can injure or kill by way of suffocation or burns. On the...